If you’re like many engineers, the thought of being social can be daunting. Making a presentation or speaking can be downright stressful. But there are simple techniques you can do to help.
- Be confident. You are the expert. Being able to clearly share ideas with others is an important quality in a leader. Start by sharing ideas at tradeshows or in small groups.
- Consider your audience. If it's an industry crowd, you can expand on your knowledge.
- Simplify it. Being able to explain things in simple easy to know terms can help your audience take in your presentation.
- Don't be afraid to read from a script. Speaking can lead to anxiety. Having a script handy allows you to remember your points and stay on track.
- Be engaging and conversational. Don’t rush and speak with authority. Avoid being monotone and don’t be afraid to pause.
So, relax and be authentic,. Having a good public speaking skill can be key to leadership.